NEWPORT NEWS, Va., Feb. 11, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Huntington Ingalls Industries (NYSE:HII) announced today that eight employees from its Newport News Shipbuilding and Ingalls Shipbuilding divisions were recognized for achievements in the STEM fields during the 33rd annual Black Engineer of the Year Award STEM Global Competitiveness Conference. The conference was held last week in Washington, D.C.
Christopher Belton, a lead test engineer at Newport News Shipbuilding, received the Admiral Michelle Howard Legacy Award. The award is named in honor of Howard, whose ground-breaking 35-year naval career was marked by many firsts, including becoming the first African-American woman to command a U.S. Navy ship and the first to achieve the two- and three-star ranks. In 2014, she became the first African-American and first woman to reach the rank of four-star admiral.
Seven other HII employees received Modern Day Technology Leader awards, which recognize their efforts in shaping the future of engineering, science and technology. They are:
- Roclun Barber, test engineer, Newport News Shipbuilding
- David Elliot Jr., electrical engineer, Newport News Shipbuilding
- Eddie Ireland, electrical engineer, Newport News Shipbuilding
- Ashlei Owens, IT systems engineer, Newport News Shipbuilding
- Ronald Ryes Jr., electrical engineer, Ingalls Shipbuilding
- Ernestine Thompson, test engineer manager, Newport News Shipbuilding
- Dominique Wilson, electrical engineer, Ingalls Shipbuilding
Huntington Ingalls Industries is America’s largest military shipbuilding company and a provider of professional services to partners in government and industry. For more than a century, HII’s Newport News and Ingalls shipbuilding divisions in Virginia and Mississippi have built more ships in more ship classes than any other U.S. naval shipbuilder. HII’s Technical Solutions division provides a wide range of professional services through its Fleet Support, Mission Driven Innovative Solutions, Nuclear & Environmental, and Oil & Gas groups. Headquartered in Newport News, Virginia, HII employs more than 40,000 people operating both domestically and internationally. For more information, visit: